Erection is a function that depends on different mechanisms located at different levels. Let’s see how it works and some tips to avoid problems in maintaining the erection.
An erection starts from a sensory and / or mental stimulus. It is in the brain where sexual activation occurs, sending from it a signal that travels through the spinal cord through nerve stimuli that begin to stimulate the nerves located in the penis. This causes the corpora cavernosa to relax, favoring the entry of blood and resulting in stiffness in the area.
After this, and if ejaculation is achieved, or when the sexual stimulus subsides, other elements such as adrenaline cause the muscles to contract again, the accumulated blood comes out and the penis recovers the state of sagging.
For an erection you need:
- A nervous system that works properly.
- A vascular system that allows blood flow.
- Ability to retain blood in the penis and keep it erect.
Why do erection problems appear?
Erection problems can appear for different reasons, taking into account that any problem in one of the elements involved in it can prevent it from happening. Broadly speaking, these causes are divided into two types:
- Organic causes. When there is an alteration in the blood vessels, nerves or corpora cavernosa of the penis. Most often, what is affected are the blood vessels of the penis, which makes it difficult to enter or maintain the blood needed for an erection. This may be due to obstructions, trauma or injury to the arteries.
- Cause psychogenic. When the origin is at the level of the brain (stress, depression, problems …)
Contrary to popular belief, advanced age by itself is not a cause of erectile dysfunction, but it is the diseases that usually occur at that time that influence its development. Also, taking drugs can also adversely affect erection.
Erectile dysfunction characteristics
To be considered erectile dysfunction, which appears most frequently in men over 40 years, the following situations must occur:
- The problem of erection persists for more than three months, there is at least one failure every four intercourse.
- There is a change in erection quality, both in stiffness and in time.
- Inability to have or maintain an erection upon waking up in the morning.
Recommendations to avoid erection problems
- Avoid tobacco
Tobacco use increases the probability of having erectile dysfunction by 60% and is the most frequent cause of erection problems in men under 35 years.
- Reduce alcohol intake.
Alcohol causes an interruption of the erection by inhibiting the proper functioning of the central nervous system, which justifies why in a state of drunkenness the satisfactory erection response is very limited.
- Healthy and balanced diet.
Obesity is linked to the development of metabolic disorders that can lead to diseases related to erectile dysfunction, such as cardiovascular problems or diabetes. Therefore, it is always advisable to follow a healthy diet to avoid excess weight.
The regular practice of exercise reduces the chances of suffering from cardiovascular diseases, a factor that influences erectile dysfunction.
- Active sex life.
Maintaining sexual intercourse is a good exercise to keep the blood circulation and elasticity of arteries and corpora cavernosa of the penis in good condition, reducing the likelihood of developing an erectile dysfunction problem.